, Inc. All rights reserved.
"the little guys with BIG service!"
© 2011 Copyright Border Steel and Recycling, Inc. All rights reserved.
Benefits of Aluminum Recycling
Interesting Facts About Aluminum Recycling
- Over 50 percent of the aluminum cans produced are recycled.
- A used aluminum can is recycled and back on the grocery shelf as a new can, in as little as 60 days.
- Aluminum is a durable and sustainable metal: two-thirds of the aluminum ever produced is in use today.
- Every minute of every day, an average of 113,204 aluminum cans are recycled.
- Making new aluminum cans from used cans takes 95 percent less energy; 20 recycled cans can be made with the energy needed
to produce one can using virgin ore.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to keep a 100-watt bulb burning for almost four hours or run your television
for three hours.
- In 2005, 54 billion cans were recycled saving energy equivalent to 15 million barrels of crude oil – America’s entire gas consumption
for one day.
- Tossing away an aluminum can wastes as much energy as pouring out half of that can’s volume of gasoline.
- In 1972, 24,000 metric tons of aluminum used beverage containers (UBCs) were recycled. In 1998, the amount increased to over
879,000 metric tons.
- In 1972, it took about 22 empty aluminum cans to weigh one pound. Due to advanced technology to use less material and increase
durability of aluminum cans, in 2002 it took about 34 empty aluminum cans to weigh one pound.
- While at work, the average employee consumes 2.5 beverages a day
Source: The Aluminum Association, www.aluminum.org
© 2013 Copyright Border Steel and Recycling, Inc. All rights reserved.